The other week I gate crashed a lunch date. I’d been given a menu to look at and one item in particular intrigued me: chicken and stuffing pie. I had to have it…
The pie was yummy – chicken and stuffing in a pie served with chips, peas and gravy. That’s when I said to someone at the table that I would probably put the peas inside the pie so I didn’t have to chase them across my plate. The pie was delicious. It was really, really yummy.
I had no choice. Either I have to frequently drive ~20 miles to eat the pie or I have to make my own pie…
But if I make the pie, can I make it better? I gave it a go:
- Shortcrust pastry – cooked the base briefly.
- Cooked 3 chicken breasts and chopped them up.
- Made a mixture of sage and onion stuffing from a packet. Stirred in the chopped chicken.
- Stirred in peas and defrosted spinach.
- Added a tiny bit of gravy to make the mixture sticky (not wet).
Then I crammed (squashed) the mixture into the pie base before stretching the pie lid over the top. I baked it in the oven for 35 mins. I brushed the pie in gravy that I had added to the filling.